Nana’s Favorite Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
Prep Time: Approx 10 mins
Total Time: Approx 18 mins
Servings: Makes about six pancakes and doubles easily!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter with the egg, then mix in the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined (a few lumps are fine — over-mixing will cause your pancakes to be flat, not fluffy).
- Let the pancake batter sit for about 5 minutes while you heat up your non-stick skillet over medium heat. You’ll know the pan is hot enough when a few drops of water dance on the surface and evaporate.
- Spoon or pour about 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter onto the hot skillet, spread the batter into a round using the back of a spoon.
- Turn the pancakes when the outer edge appears a bit dry and bubbles begin to show on top.
- Cook till golden brown.